WHO ARE WE?
• Developing Artists is a nonprofit organization founded in 1999 that is dedicated to providing students from culturally and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds the opportunity to proclaim themselves as artists. We help kids find THEIR place and THEIR connection to THEIR community through participation in the arts. We have impacted over 1200 young artists during our 12 seasons in addition to thousands of young audience members.
WHO ARE WE TARGETING?
• Youth between the age of 12 -18 who attend Middle and High Schools in the 5 Boroughs of NYC, where arts programs have been cut or have never been in place.
WHAT IS THE STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAM?
• A 12-week course offered in the Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall, centered on the creation and performance of an original show that is inspired by issues raised by the students (age groups 12-14 & 15-18).
• Our teachers incorporate fundamentals of acting, writing and all the elements of the performing arts to build an ensemble that will celebrate their unique collaboration.
• Selections of the best work are taken to DA Youth Arts Festival where our students perform along-side many other invited youth groups in a two-week engagement in front of a live audience.
HOW DO THE STUDENTS BENEFIT?
• Participation in DA Youth Arts Festival as well as our classes, teaches young artists the dynamic relationship between performer & audience and the importance of connecting with their own community.
• Improves their self-confidence, empowers their creative voice and helps them learn the value of collaboration.
HOW IS DEVELOPING ARTISTS DIFFERENT?
• DA Youth Arts Festival is the only festival in America of its kind where young artists can benefit from coming together to engage and exchange with their artistic peers.
• Our students work alongside professional actors, writers, and directors providing a level of training that nurtures our young artists as seriously as we would adult participants.